Firefighters are tackling a huge blaze at a university student accommodation block.
Crowds of students were evacuated from The Cube in Bolton when the fire broke out at about 20:30 GMT on Friday.
At its height crews from more than 40 fire engines were tackling the blaze on the fifth and sixth floors.
One witness said the fire was “climbing up” the six-storey building and “bubbling from the outside”. It is not known if there are any injuries.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said it had started “scaling back resources” at 03:00 and said 10 fire engines would remain at the scene on Bradshawgate “to tackle the remaining pockets of fire”.
Area manager Jim Hutton said “hardworking firefighters” had prevented the fire from spreading to an adjacent building.
“We have been fighting this fire for more than six hours now and we are making good progress, and that’s thanks to the quick and professional actions of our crews,” he said.
University of Bolton student Shannon Parker, who lives in the building, said she was in her room when the fire started.
“I heard the fire alarm going off but it kept on going off so I just thought it was a drill at first until one of my flatmates shouted down the corridor that it was a real fire,” the 22-year-old said.
“So I ran out the flat as quickly as I could and I saw that it was one of the flats below mine and we went out by the fire exit.”
She said she was being relocated to either a nearby hotel or another student accommodation building.
GMFRS has asked residents of The Cube to register at Orlando Village Student Accommodation and contact family members to let them know they are safe.
Witness Ace Love, 35, said the fire “kept getting more intense, climbing up and to the right because the wind was blowing so hard”.
“We could see it bubbling from the outside and then being engulfed from the outside,” he added.
“A lot of students got out very fast, someone was very distressed, the rest were on phones calling for help.
“The fire got worse and worse, to the point where you could see through the beams, it was just bare frame.”
Videos posted on social media show debris falling from the building and firefighters tackling flames coming out of the windows on the top floors.
One student tweeted to say she had to leave her belongings and added: “But the main thing is I’m out and I’m safe.”
In a tweet, GMFRS said crews were using aerial appliances to tackle the blaze.
A spokesperson said there was still a large amount of smoke in the local area.
“Local residents are being asked to keep their windows and doors shut and avoid the area where possible,” they added.
Greater Manchester Police said a number of road closures were in place.